Photo Archivist's Selection of the Month: November 2008
The Stamford Baptist Church
The Stamford Baptist Church was founded November 1773. The church stood on the corner of Atlantic & Broad Streets, at the current site of the Landmark Building. Here is a chronology:
|Rev. Joseph B. Hoyt
||The Parsonage, 5 Forest Street
Whitman Bailey Sketch titled “Part of Broad Street Where Proposed Widening Would Begin.”
download newspaper clipping of February 23, 1924 (PDF)
1928 through 1931
Three photos published by “The Stamford Weekly Guide.”
The storm weakened the church steeple and it was removed.
|Rev. Edmont P. Hains
View from Broad Street looking east
Later in 1954
The church was demolished in December of 1954. While the new church was being built on 602 High Ridge Road, members met at the Odd Fellows' Hall on Suburban Avenue. Stained glass memorial windows and the bell from the old church were salvaged and put into the new church.
||Advocate 1954 (Walter): The 90-year-old Baptist Church building at Broad and Atlantic sts. makes way for an office building A new church structure will be built further from the business center. Here, on Dec. 8, a wrecking ball begins destruction of the old tower.
Society Archive Photo
back to top
Other Photo Archivist Selections of the Month
Photo Collection Information
Photos © Stamford Historical Society