Photo Archivist's Selection of the Month: December
The Maziarek Woodworking Shop
Joseph Maziarek started his woodworking shop in 1924, after having
worked for Durschmidt builders. He carved the wooden arch over the front door
of St. Mary's Catholic Church on Elm Street. His shop did work on Holy Name
Church, St. Benedict's Church, and at the homes of Benny Goodman and Peter Goldmark.
Below, in an undated photo, the whole family is shown at work:
From left to right: Mrs. Maziarek, sons Alexander, John, Paul and Edward, and Mr. Maziarek.
The cutout shows the type of the work the Maziareks were doing.
all photographs, the shop is described as being on 47 Euclid Avenue. However, the city directory initially
lists “Joseph Maziarek, cabinet
maker,” as residing on Dean Street, a street which runs parallel to Euclid
Avenue off Cove Road, with no location listed for Euclid Avenue. It must be
assumed that they moved the shop to Euclid Avenue at a later date. The – undated – photos
at right and below are of Joseph Maziarek and his house on Dean Street.
Below is the Maziarek Building on Euclid Avenue in 1986, shortly
before the business was closed down for good by Charles, the last of the family,
upon his retirement.
Photos © Stamford Historical Society
Anyone from the family or from the Polish-American
community who can give additional information or corrections
is encouraged to
either e-mail the webmaster or
call the Society at 203-329-1183.
Other Photo Archivist Selections of the Month
Photo Collection Information