Photo Archivist's Selection of the Month: February 2009
Blacksmiths in Stamford
… and then there is Long Ridge Village

C. Saunders Practical Horse Shoer,
Wagon Repairing, General Jobbing, 1920s
On Old Long Ridge Road opposite Hunting Ridge Road.
Business listed in 1892 as William H. Saunders, North Stamford.
There is a note that the shop was razed in the 1940s.


Bill June

Peter Lauridsen and son Maurice

Frank Wood and wagon, Bill June in apron, Peter and Maurice Lauridsen.
"Dances were held here put on by Harold Lockwood and Frank Rivers."
Sylvester Lockwood
He is listed as business owner in 1868. (no date for photo)
Record Group 10, L. B. DeForest / The little butcher's wagon that roamed northern Stamford, lists for ca. 1890: "Long Ridge blacksmith Sylvester Lockwood [charged] $1.25 for shoeing a horse …"
Whitman Bailey has two related sketches
Artist's View of Saunders Blacksmith Shop, 1928

Download newspaper clipping of August 18, 1928
Artist's View at Blacksmith Hill, Long Ridge, 1930 (Lockwood)

Download newspaper clipping of November 15, 1930
We add the usual warning: "At times, the accompanying vignettes are mostly folklore passed on to Mr. Bailey by residents of the areas where he was sketching. In those instances he had no way of determining the truth of the story. Nor have we. It is presented as a sidelight to the sketch. Therefore, researchers are cautioned to regard these tales as local color, interesting, thought provoking, but sometimes not entirely factual."
Image © Stamford Historical Society
James Burns, Canal & Stage
Other downtown blacksmith shops
Other Photo Archivist Selections of the Month
Photo Collection Information
