Financial Institutions, pp. 217–247
THE STAMFORD SAVINGS BANK.
The Stamford Savings Bank is, next to the Stamford National Bank, the oldest financial institution in Stamford. It was incorporated July 31, 1851, and the corporators were: Theodore Davenport, John W. Leeds, Joseph P. Warren, Charles Hawley, George E. Waring, Edwin B. Hewes, Amos M. Brush, Stephen B. Provost, Drake Mead, Henry K. Skelding, Henry J. Sanford, Alexander N. Holly, Edwin Bishop, James H. Hoyt, Roswell Hoyt, Edwin S. Holly, Sands Adams, Luke Baker, Philip H. Brown, Jonathan D. Weeks, Charles H. Leeds, Isaac B. Redfield, George C. Close, John Dean, Joshua B. Ferris and Charles G. Rockwood. The names of the first Board of Directors are as follows: Theodore Davenport, Joseph P. Warren, John W. Leeds, Stephen B. Provost, Henry K. Skelding, Philip H. Brown, Joshua B. Ferris, Jonathan D. Weeks, Isaac B. Redfield, Edwin B. Hewes, James H Hoyt. Theodore Davenport was elected President, and Charles G. Rockwood Secretary and Treasurer. The growth of the Bank's business is strikingly illustrated by a comparison of its first statement with a report of March 1, 1892:
Theodore Davenport remained President about three years, and was succeeded by Charles Hawley, who served four Years; James H. Hoyt, fifteen years; Charles A. Hawley, four years.
George H. Hoyt has been President of the institution since 1878.
The following named gentlemen filled the office of Secretary and Treasurer: Charles G. Rockwood, three years ; S. K. Satterlee, nine months; D. R. Satterlee, two years; Alfred A. Holly, thirty years. Franklin Miller, the present Secretary and Treasurer, has been in office since 1888.
The present Vice-President is Charles A. Hawley, and the corporators are: Joseph D. Warren, Robert Swartwout, Dr. Chauncey Ayres, Amos MI. Brush, Theodore Leeds, George H. Hoyt, Charles A. Hawley, David H. Clark, Franklin Miller, John Clason, William H. Judd, F. H. Ayres, William W. Skiddy, William L. Morsell, Charles WV. Minor, Stephen E. Reed, Albert G. Weed, Edwin L. Scofield, Samuel Fessenden, Dwight Waugh, Charles H. Lounsbury, John A. Brown, John B. Reed, Jr., Walton Ferguson, and Charles H. Getman.
The directors are : Theodore Leeds, Franklin Miller, William W. Skiddy, Albert G. Weed, William H. Judd, Stephen E. Reed, Charles H. Lounsbury, Amos M. Brush, David H. Clark.
|CHARLES A. HAWLEY
||GEORGE H. HOYT
||JOHN B. REED, JR.
||FRANKLIN H. MILLER
STAMFORD SAVINGS BANK BUILDING— INTERIOR VIEWS.
Davenport Exhibit: Theodore Davenport, Sr.
Picturesque Stamford, 1892
917.46 Stamford G