Industries, p. 242
the year 1830 a small foundry was established at Long Ridge by George E.
a success, he
purchased in Stamford village, the Gothic
House property at the head of Atlantic Street, extending on Bedford Street
somewhat beyond Spring Street, and in 1836 built thereon a new foundry; the
warehouse of which - being years afterwards removed to the opposite side of
Bedford Street and converted into dwellings - is now known as the Five Chimney
House. The manufacture of stoves and agricultural implements was successfully
carried on at this place until, in 1840, Mr. Waring bought the old Rolling
Mill on Mill River at Main Street, added new buildings and removed the business
to that location. Here, in 1846, Isaac Wardwell, who entered the employ of
Mr. Waring in 1838, together with James B. Scofield, and afterward Joseph D.
Warren were associated with Mr. Waring and did a flourishing business under
the name of the “Rippowam Company.” In 1849, Mr. Waring retiring,
the name was changed, and J. D. Warren & Co. continued until the expiration
of the lease, when, in 1851, they erected necessary buildings near the head
of the old canal, and removed thither. Business was afterwards conducted at
the Main Street location by a new “Rippowam Company,” but unsuccessfully,
and the property was afterwards used as a woolen mill until the buildings were
consumed by fire in 1886.
the Canal Foundry increased, and in 1869, the same owners formed the Stamford
Company with a
capital of $40,000, and, Pacific
Street being opened, they opened Canal Street on the line of the tow-path
canal, through their own land to the N. Y. & N. H. R. R. and enlarged
the works to their present dimensions.
The Foundry property has a frontage of about 350 feet on Canal Street, and
covers about two acres of ground.
The main building for molding and casting. built of stone and brick is 71X200
feet, the warehouse 75x113 feet. Besides these, there are pattern shop, boiler
house, drill shops, and pattern storage buildings. These works have capacity
for employing one hundred men in manufacturing stoves and ranges, which are
made in great variety of styles and sizes for cooking, heating and laundry
purposes, as well as furnaces and apparatus for heating dwellings, stores,
churches, etc. The owners and managers are all natives, and life-long residents
Stamford Foundry Company, Canal Street
of Isaac Wardwell
The Wardwell Homes on Elm Street
Wardwell Family Photos
917.46 Stamford G