Join  |  Official Historian  |  City of Stamford  |  Blog  |  About Us
Jewish Historical Society  |  Civil War Roundtable  |  Contact Us


Photo Archivist's Selection of the Month: February 2006

High Ridge Market

Grocery & Variety Stores

Early Stores
Later Stores


East Side

Emilio Roberti's Store
Emilio Roberti, 159 Myrtle Avenue, c.1928

14 February 2006: Grace Bounty found this information: “Emilio Roberti - in 1930 name is listed as Enninidio Roberto - age 56, single, lodging with the Fortunato Caputo family at 137 Myrtle Ave., - Proprietor - Grocery Store. Another spelling of his name is Emiddio Roberti. First listed in 1924 directory - Fruit - 159 Myrtle Ave. He moved from Stamford in 1932, moving to New York State.”

East Side Variety
East Side Variety, 100 Lockwood Ave. at William Street, August 21, 1976.
Owner: James G. Lennon.

Belltown, July 1980

Conetta's Italian Delicatessen Belltown Variety
26 Belltown Road, Frank & Barbara Conetta. 31 Belltown Road, Mrs. Dawn M. Lupinacci.

West Side

Hillcrest Variety
Corner West Broad & Wright Streets, January 1975.
Hubbard (Heights) Deli, Marie P. DiRubis / Frankie's TV (Service), Frank M. Lacarenza / Hillcrest Variety, Alfred J. Perillo

Society President Jane Flounders recollects: “Hillcrest Variety was a political meeting place, as both Perillos served for many years on the Board of Representatives. It also was a popular destination for many hospital employees as it was only a block away from the hospital.”


Parillo's Market
1087 Hope Street, October 16, 1930.

Woodway Market Delivery Wagon

This was a tricky one to research: The delivery van says “Woodway Market,” the marquee on the store “Parillo's Market.” Vincenzo Parillo is last listed in the 1929 City Directory at the above address, and John Evanko first in the1930 directory, with “Woodway Market, owners Alexander Rensko & John Evanko.” Maybe the above date is the takeover of the market, with the marquee not yet having been changed. The photo label lists a John Renzsco. (see also “Springdale Remembered” by Rosemary H. Burns, p.162, and note that the street address number underneath the photo is reversed.)

\Jim & Mary's Grocery
Jim & Mary's Grocery, 71 Ryan Street at Camp Ave., Springdale, April 1974.
Vincent and Mary Savastino.

North Stamford

High Ridge Market High Ridge Market, close-up
High Ridge Market, “Jones's Store,” 1954. 3061 High Ridge Road at Trinity Pass
The caption of the photo reads: “Some things never change!”

Society member Margaret Bowen writes:

'This photo brings back such happy memories of our move to Stamford in 1963. The photo of the store looks much as it did in 1963. The proprietor at that time was Robert Hansen who with the help of Bill, who was the butcher and Tony, the employee who helped in the store and drove the delivery truck to homes in North Stamford, created an oasis of fine meat and produce as well as general grocery items for the enjoyment and convenience of residents in the High Ridge Village area. Robert “Bob” Hansen was a convivial entrepreneur who understood the culinary needs of the “weekend” residents as well as the everyday needs of the year round residents. The store was the center of activity in the High Ridge community and it was a meeting place where longtime residents could meet the “newcomers” who were coming into Stamford in the l960s and vice versa. Bob had a great appreciation of the history of the village.

"At an earlier date, prior to 1949, the store also served as the post office. Across the street was the residence and workshop of Rollo Waters, the last basket maker of High Ridge, whose wares Bob stocked. Built in 1861 by sons of Isaac Jones, it sold a great variety of goods needed by area residents. For a period of time the second floor of the store was devoted to a shirt factory and piece work was done in the homes of nearby residents. Elbert Jones was probably the most well known owner in the early 19th century as witnessed by his informal title “Mayor of High Ridge.” He was succeeded by his son, Cortland Jones. Following Bob Hansen's retirement, the store was renovated into a “deli” and later renovated to become a corporate headquarters.

"The picturesque gasoline pumps and the bay storefront windows and loading dock are now gone but the basic original structure remains intact.

"There is so much to tell about this area and we were so fortunate to arrive here in time to get to know the old residents and hear some of their stories. The first year we were out here, I did not have a car, and I walked the two young ones up to the store most every day to get something. Tony would deliver groceries and it was just wonderful. Bob had great stories of some of his more famous customers, e.g., Gene Tunney, etc. The school bus stop was there, too, so it was just a great meeting place for everyone."

Photos © Stamford Historical Society

Early Stores
Later Stores

Other Photo Archivist Selections of the Month
Photo Collection Information