Join  |  Official Historian  |  City of Stamford  |  Blog  |  About Us
Jewish Historical Society  |  Civil War Roundtable  |  Contact Us


Photo Archivist's Selection of the Month: July 2000

Union House Hotel, ca. 1870

Union House Hotel, circa 1870

Later named Grand Union Hotel, Carlton Hotel. Built 1844, burned down 1920.
On Main Street, opposite Stage Street, Stamford Post Office to the left.

Photo © Stamford Historical Society

Postscript November 2005: According to Irwin Miller, Historian of the Jewish Historical Society of Fairfield County: The store at the right in the Union House Hotel photo was that of Wolff Cohen. Among Cohen's goods on display in front of the store is a jacket shown hanging from the overhang. He occupied that site from 1856 to 1874 when he moved to Park Row.

The Union House Hotel in the Blizzard of '88
Postcards: Hotels in Stamford

Other Photo Archivist Selections of the Month
Photo Collection Information