Photo Archivist's Selection of the Month: November 2009
The Citizens Savings Bank, c. 1914
Browsing through our library for inspiration, we came across yet another article from The Guide to Nature Magazine, with excellent photos of the Citizens Savings Bank around 1914. And as luck will have it, a search in the Vertical Files produced a brochure from which the photos and some of the text were taken, meaning that there were more items, some very typical of the era, such as the "Ladies' Room" which had a little desk with a mirror and sort of a chaise lounge where the lady, no doubt exhausted from her banking chores, could rest.
Thus this article is a combination of the text from the Guide to Nature article and photos from the brochure. A slide show of the entire brochure will follow later.
The bank building, across from the Old Town Hall, still stands in all its architectural splendor. For a while, it was a brewery restaurant and now houses a banqueting facility.
Nature Magazine, Vol. VII. No. 8., January,
A great Addition to Stamford's Beauty.
Everybody interested in busy and beautiful Stamford is delighted with the architectural plans of the new Stamford Savings Bank building in which the bank is now well settled and doing business as regularly and faithfully as if it had been there for a hundred years. This bank was the first in Stamford to erect and occupy a house devoted exclusively to the banking business, although at about the same time the beautiful building of the Stamford Trust Company was erected. Notice has already been called to the building that followed as a close second. The Citizens Savings Bank is notably placed and in a conspicuous location on one of the prominent corners of our beautiful city. It is famous as an institution of high character and financial standing. The building greatly aids in the appearance of the central part of the city.
Nothing has been omitted nor overlooked in the endeavor to make this the most substantial, secure and convenient banking establishment in Southern Fairfield County. It is a marvel of completeness and the perfection of modern banking equipment and service.
The Citizens Saving [sic] Bank was first opened for business July 2, 1869. On December 1, 1913, when it occupied its present quarters, the volume of business exceeded five million dollars a year. At no time during any financial or business depression has the customary rule been enforced that requires sixty days' notice before monies on deposit may be withdrawn. All demands have been promptly met; no one has ever been inconvenienced by reason of unavailable funds. The strength and availability of its resources have earned the confidence of the public and the courtesy of its officers and their loyalty to depositors have gained the cordial good will of the entire community.
The officers of the bank are as follows: William D. Smith, President; Charles D. Lockwood, Vice-President; Walter E. Houghton, Secretary and Treasurer. The Directors are: William D. Smith, Joseph G. Houghton, Alfred N. Phillips, Joseph R. Swan, Walter E. Houghton, Charles D. Lockwood, Herbert C. Reed, Charles F. Waterbury and Hezekiah Weed.
Pictures from the brochure
Guide to Nature Caption: A MAGNIFICENT DOME ELICITS WORDS OF APPRECIATION.
Guide to Nature Captions:
 IN A CONSPICUOUS LOCATION ON ONE OF THE PROMINENT CORNERS OF OUR BEAUTIFUL CITY.
 A VERY ATTRACTIVE ENTRANCE.
 WHERE THE DIRECTORS CONGRATULATE THEMSELVES THAT ALL IS PROSPERING.
The Citizens Savings Bank in 1892 (Picturesque Stamford)
Other Photo Archivist Selections of the Month
Photo Collection Information