Mercantile Affairs, etc., p 274ff
Hoyt's Son & Co.
of Lyman Hoyt's Son & Co., dates from 1837, when Lyman Hoyt entered into
partnership in the furniture and undertaking business with Ezra Bishop. Mr.
Hoyt afterwards carried on business for several years in a frame building
which stood near the present Town Hall. Disposing of the building and business
to E. C. Warren, Mr. Hoyt removed to Orange County, N.Y., where he was engaged
in the same occupation. In 1850 he returned to Stamford conducted a planing-mill
in connection with the Stamford Foundry, but in 1855 went to Iowa. He came
back to his native town in 1860, and resumed the milling business, but three
days later was disabled by a severe accident. In the fall of 1860 he bought
out the furniture and undertaking business of William H. Harrison, whose
store was on Park Row. He removed to Quintard's Block in 1861, and a few
years later increased his trade by repurchasing his old business from E.C.
Warren. In 1868, Charles L. Hoyt became a member of the firm, and in 1872
Joseph A. Hoyt was added, the firm name being changed to Lyman Hoyt & Sons.
Mr. Joseph A. Hoyt retired in 1880 and died soon afterwards. In March, 1884,
Lyman Hoyt & Son moved to the new building which they had erected on
Atlantic Square. This is one of the most conspicuous business structures
in Stamford, and is admirably adapted to the needs of the firm. It is 30
feet front by 100 feet deep, with four stories and basement, all occupied
by the firm's business. There is also a three-story building 25x60, in the
rear of the store, used as an upholstery and repair shop. Lyman Hoyt died
November 9, 1891, and on February 1, 1892, the firm became Lyman Hoyt's Son & Co.,
the partners being Charles L. Hoyt and Charles H. Martin. The latter had
been in the employ of the house for eighteen years.
||CHARLES LYMAN HOYT
||CHARLES H. MARTIN
1891-92 City Directory
to Old Town Hall
War changed funeral customs
Picturesque Stamford, 1892
917.46 Stamford G