The Development of a Big Store.
All over the southern part of Fairfield County The C. O. Miller Company store of Stamford has for many decades been a household word. Probably in no other locality has any other store had so nearly one hundred per cent of the patronage of a community. But this community is growing and has been growing rapidly. This necessarily has had an effect on the store. To meet the greater Stamford and the rapidly increasing needs of this part of the county, this famous dry goods establishment has been forced to increase its floor space by more than six thousand square feet and completely to remodel and change the building. It always has been a model of its kind. It now is a model on a larger scale with more than double its former capacity. As we enter the front door we shall see a magnificent new cabinet for kid gloves and a special counter where ladies may with every possible advantage and ease make a selection. On the other side will stand the latest forms of cabinets for laces, veilings. trimmings, objects in which women delight. The hosiery department is entirely remodeled and fitted with magnificent mahagony cases in which the goods will be displayed. The dress goods department has been forced into a larger and more commodious part of the store.
The men's department will be especially well supplied with the latest styles of shirts, neckties, underwear, objects in which men delight. An attractive feature will be a large case in which umbrellas for men, women, boys and girls will be advantageously displayed. In the rear part of the enlarged store will be an attractive department for wash goods, domestics and bedding. This alone covers about three thousand square feet of space. On the floor above is a similar space for the exhibition of carpets. A new department for linens and other white goods occupies about one thousand square feet. The new offices alone occupy about nine hundred square feet. The old office will be converted into an art department furnished with cabinets having disappearing doors and the entire back of glass. In what was formerly the old art department will be new cases for the display of Butterick patterns. There will also be a new ribbon department with convenient cases in the middle of the store as heretofore. The basement contains a large stock room and a new boiler room. A department also in the basement has been provided for upholstery and all sorts of work pertaining to carpet forming and laying. A new cash system of the Lamson style has been unstalled on the ceiling, having stations at all the departments, with rapid transit movements to the new cash desk. Customers will not be kept waiting for change as the action of the system is practically instantaneous.
The store's standard has always been high in quality of goods at reasonable prices. It is famed throughout Stamford and the adjoining towns for the invariable courtesy and cordial good will that the customer experiences in every nook and corner of the place. The proprietors' long step ahead is therefore not merely a matter of congratulation to them, but an index of community growth and an attraction for residences in this part of a county that is literally a Fair Field.
Read more about it, with plenty of photos: Completing Fifty Years in Business (Guide to Nature Magazine, November 1917)
And what it looked like before: Philosophy and Photographs in a Store, 1912 (Guide to Nature Magazine, April 1912)
Picturesque Stamford 1892: C.O. Miller
The C.O. Miller Company (Photo Selection of the Month, February/March 2002)
The C.O. Miller Department Store at 15 Bank Street (Photo Selection of the Month, May 2008)
Architectural Rendering for the 1882 Building