Murals: Stamford scenes from yesteryear
Fidelity Trust Company's first home was at the Burlington Arcade where the
Kiwanis Mini-Park is now located. It is shown at the far right of this mural.
Office was also located in the building.
The following year, Fidelity was to
move to larger quarters at 54 Park Row, and in 1924 to its present site at 129
The old town hall had burned in 1904
and the present town hall was built the next year. It is shown in the background
of this mural.
The building of St. John's Roman Catholic
Church shown in the background was begun about 1870 and in 1905 the spire had
not yet been built. The fifth home of the Congregational Church with its graceful
tall spire was standing until 1911.
Horse cars had
given way to trolley cars operated by the Stamford Street Railroad Company.
Automobiles were becoming
popular and four-seated touring cars “with the fringe on top” and smart little
roadsters with a rear door and corner rear seats were familiar sights along
our main thoroughfares. The period between 1903 and 1910 was marked by feverish
inventive competition among automobile manufacturers. The old “Columbia” hard
wheel bicycle with its high rear wheel and small front wheel had given way
bicycles, single and tandem, with pneumatic tires.
In 1905 Stamford voted on the consolidation
of the City and Town governments. The proposal was defeated by a margin of over
600 votes. And that was also the year when the Honorable Homer S. Cummings,
then mayor, and who later became Attorney General of the United States, performed
a vaudeville act on the occasion of the opening of the Family Theatre.
of 1642: Settlers observe the Sabbath
About 1655: Setting the boundaries
October 1789: Townfolk greet George Washington
About 1842: Canal to the sound
Christmas Day 1848: First train to Stamford
Atlantic Street 1905
Stanley J. Rowland: About the artist
Image © The Stamford Historical Society