Join  |  Official Historian  |  City of Stamford  |  Blog  |  About Us
Jewish Historical Society  |  Civil War Roundtable  |  Contact Us


Murals: Stamford scenes from yesteryear

Mural: Setting the boundaries 1655, click here for next muralSetting the boundaries

About 1655

The land on which Stamford was settled was purchased from the Indians in July of 1640 by Capt. Nathaniel Turner, agent for the New Haven Colony. He paid 12 English coats, 12 “howes”, 12 hatchets, 12 glasses, 12 knives, 4 kettles and 4 fathoms of white wampum. During November of that year, the land was sold by the New Haven Colony to our first settlers for the equivalent of 33 pounds in terms of “corne”.

In 1655 the boundaries of Stamford were defined for the first time. The sons of the Indian Sagamores who had made the first treaty were disgruntled with the original terms, and in order to dispel this dissatisfaction, a new treaty was drawn.

The boundaries were described as “from the town plot of Stamford north about 16 miles and there we marked a white oak tree with S. T. and going toward the Mill River side we marked another white oak tree with S. T. and from that tree west we were to run four miles... and from the first marked tree to run four miles Eastward”.

Thus, a rectangular plot was defined, 16 miles almost due northwest and 8 miles in breadth. This tract took in a goodly portion of the present towns of Greenwich, Bedford, Poundridge and New Canaan, and a good part of Darien.

Under the second treaty the Puritans were to have an additional two miles to the northwest for the purpose of grazing cattle. The Indians in the back ground of this mural are counting the additional coats given in the settlement of the second treaty. The exact boundary line is not known. The hills in the background were painted from hills lying just to the north of Bedford, New York. The initials S. T. denote Stamford, and as here used, its northern boundary.

back button    'next' button

Spring of 1642: Settlers observe the Sabbath
About 1655: Setting the boundaries
October 1789: Townfolk greet George Washington
About 1842: Canal to the sound
Christmas Day 1848: First train to Stamford
Atlantic Street 1905
Stanley J. Rowland: About the artist

Image © The Stamford Historical Society