Join  |  Official Historian, City of Stamford  |  Blog  |  About Us
Jewish Historical Society  |  Civil War Roundtable  |  Contact Us

Blickensderfer, William Jacob
Davenport, Adelaide Hutchings
Davenport, Harriet Grant Chesebrough
Dewing, Clark Leonard
Dewing, Hiram
Duffy, Edward
Gildemeister, Clara Parsons
Hanrahan, John T.
Hoit, Edward B.
Hoyt, Joseph Blachley
Jones, Cortland Mead
Lathrop, The Reverend Edward
Lockwood, Judge Charles Davenport
Machlett, Raymond R.
Palmer, Delos
Peters, The Reverend Cyril S.
Quintard, Elizabeth
Quintard, Mary “Polly”
Selleck, Charlotte Gregory
Selleck, George
Selleck, Harriet Banks
Selleck, James Weed
Selleck, Captain William
Studwell, Theodore
Towne, Frederick Tallmadge
Waterbury, Captain Marcus
Wilensky, Julius Morris


The Stamford Historical Society Presents

Best Face Forward
Portraits from the Society's Collection
April through September 2009

Edward B. Hoit (1847–1935)

Edward B. Hoit Oil on canvas
Artist unknown
Gift of The Reverend Stuart C. Brush

E. B. Hoit was the proprietor of a meat business located on Erskine Road on the family farm (which was later owned by boxing champion Gene Tunney.) That business was sold circa 1885 to L. B. Deforest and remained in Long Ridge Village until about 1925.

Upon the sale of his business, Mr. Hoit went to Stamford where several years later he established the Grand Central Market in a four story brick building at 200 Main Street.

Edward B. Hoit was the son of John Lee Count Hoit and Rebecca Ann Brush of Greenwich. He and his wife, Adelaide V. Bowen, had two adopted children, who were children of Anna B. Wood and Edward Dolsen.

E.B.Hoyt in Long Ridge
The E.B. Hoit Company Grand Central Market in 1913

Image © Stamford Historical Society