Join  |  Official Historian, City of Stamford  |  Blog  |  About Us
Jewish Historical Society  |  Civil War Roundtable  |  Contact Us

Blickensderfer, William Jacob
Davenport, Adelaide Hutchings
Davenport, Harriet Grant Chesebrough
Dewing, Clark Leonard
Dewing, Hiram
Duffy, Edward
Gildemeister, Clara Parsons
Hanrahan, John T.
Hoit, Edward B.
Hoyt, Joseph Blachley
Jones, Cortland Mead
Lathrop, The Reverend Edward
Lockwood, Judge Charles Davenport
Machlett, Raymond R.
Palmer, Delos
Peters, The Reverend Cyril S.
Quintard, Elizabeth
Quintard, Mary “Polly”
Selleck, Charlotte Gregory
Selleck, George
Selleck, Harriet Banks
Selleck, James Weed
Selleck, Captain William
Studwell, Theodore
Towne, Frederick Tallmadge
Waterbury, Captain Marcus
Wilensky, Julius Morris


The Stamford Historical Society Presents

Best Face Forward
Portraits from the Society's Collection
April through September 2009

Julius Morris Wilensky (1916–2004)

Julius Morris Wilensky Oil on canvas
Vivian Reed (1925–1996)
Gift of Mrs. Jennifer Wilensky

Mayor of Stamford from 1969 to 1973, Julius Wilensky worked to enlarge the recreational facilities in Stamford. During his terms in office, Cove Island and Kosciuszko Park were expanded and Sterling Farms Municipal Golf Course was established. The city also acquired 118 acres of the Goodbody estate on Westover Road, using five acres to restore Ft. Stamford and the remaining land to establish Mianus River Park.

A graduate of Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, he worked for Yale and Towne Manufacturing Co. until 1967.

He was a lifelong sailor and his enthusiasm for Long Island Sound knew no bounds. He wrote several cruising and sailing guides and edited the popular “Lights and Legends: A Historical Guide to Lighthouses of Long Island Sound, Fishers Island Sound and Block Island Sound.”

Vivian Reed was the founder of the Stamford Art Association and worked as a portrait artist for fifty years. She was a U.S. Army veteran of World War II and was active in the Connecticut chapter of Jewish War Veterans.

This portrait was a gift to former Mayor Wilensky from the Stamford Art Association.

Image © Stamford Historical Society