Join  |  Official Historian, City of Stamford  |  Blog  |  About Us
Jewish Historical Society  |  Civil War Roundtable  |  Contact Us

Blickensderfer, William Jacob
Davenport, Adelaide Hutchings
Davenport, Harriet Grant Chesebrough
Dewing, Clark Leonard
Dewing, Hiram
Duffy, Edward
Gildemeister, Clara Parsons
Hanrahan, John T.
Hoit, Edward B.
Hoyt, Joseph Blachley
Jones, Cortland Mead
Lathrop, The Reverend Edward
Lockwood, Judge Charles Davenport
Machlett, Raymond R.
Palmer, Delos
Peters, The Reverend Cyril S.
Quintard, Elizabeth
Quintard, Mary “Polly”
Selleck, Charlotte Gregory
Selleck, George
Selleck, Harriet Banks
Selleck, James Weed
Selleck, Captain William
Studwell, Theodore
Towne, Frederick Tallmadge
Waterbury, Captain Marcus
Wilensky, Julius Morris


The Stamford Historical Society Presents

Best Face Forward
Portraits from the Society's Collection
April through September 2009

Hiram Dewing (1819–1897)
Clark Leonard Dewing (1822–1852)

images (make sure same height)

Hiram Dewing Clark Leonard Dewing
Oil on canvas
Artists unknown
C695k-1 & C695k-2
Gift of Mrs. Katharine Truman Smith Coley

Hiram Dewing was born in Woodstock, CT as was his brother, Clark Leonard. Clark and another brother, Seth, were partners in the hat business in New York City. Clark died at the age of 30, Hiram went to Charleston, South Carolina in 1837 to work in the clothing store of Dewing and Thayer which became a large mercantile establishment.

Hiram and his first wife, Susan Burkett of Rocky Hill, Connecticut, had a son, Clark. Later Clark and his father had a brokerage firm in New York as well as other businesses in Charleston and New York City. Hiram and his family had a home in Stamford at 116 Atlantic Street where they lived for almost thirty-eight years.

Following Susan’s death in 1877, Hiram later married Charlotte Ann Quintard Beach in 1881.

Fortunately, for historians, Hiram was a prolific letter writer in addition to keeping detailed diaries and business records. The Society was recently the recipient of several archival boxes filled with materials which will keep Dewing researchers occupied for many years.

Images © Stamford Historical Society