WWII, the building could not meet the increasing demands for municipal
services and offices.
The first attempt at a solution was the purchase
of the five-story HELCO office building at the lower end of Atlantic Street.
The offices of the Mayor and board of representatives and other boards
were moved into the new "City Hall" or "Municipal Office
Building," constructed originally in 1927. The Town Clerk, the Judge
of Probate and the Registrars of Voters remained in the "Old Town
Hall," while other officials were located in other buildings on and
off Atlantic Street.
1986, "the hydra-headed problem was solved at one stroke
by the purchase of the sleek aluminum, glass, and
steel office building, constructed but not tenanted by GTE, on the corner of
Tresser and Washington Boulevards."
Here is an architectural
rendering of "One Telecom Place."
Meanwhile, the Old Town Hall still sits where it was, and over
the years, various uses have been discussed, but no solution has been found
of this writing.
back to top