Join  |  Official Historian  |  City of Stamford  |  Blog  |  About Us
Jewish Historical Society  |  Civil War Roundtable  |  Contact Us


The Stamford Historical Society Presents

Portrait of a Family: Stamford through the Legacy of the Davenports

Davenport Homestead Main Street (now West Park Place)

Davenport Homestead

On display in the exhibit:

Davenport Homestead. The above photograph, taken around l882, is of the Davenport homestead, or mansion, as it was commonly referred to, on Main Street in Stamford. The homestead stood near the corner of Summer Street, and was actually comprised of two houses. The one on the right was that of Abraham Davenport which adjoins the pillared residence on the left, built by the Hon. John Davenport in 1807.

Picturesque Stamford, 1892
The original photograph is in the Society's collection

Hotel Davenport, c. 1923

Davenport Hotel

The mansion was later moved to Lower Summer Street, and in 1915 the Davenport Hotel was built on the original site. This building still stands. There was no Davenport family connection with the hotel; it was named for the site.

Postcard, Stamford Historical Society

1933 Whitman BaileySketch of the Homestead.

The works of Whitman Bailey, a color-blind artist, first appeared in The Stamford Advocate in 1924. Avid readers watched for his weekly sketches and historical write-ups for close to 30 years. Fortunately, Richard H. Gillespie, publisher of The Advocate, realized what Bailey’s talents would mean to future generations.

Stamford Historical Society

Detail from an 1823 map of Stamford, showing the Homestead

detail of an 1823 map of Stamford, click here for full map

Stamford Historical Society

Mahogany Tall Case Clock, c. 1810, possibly New York.
Mahogany Tall Case Clock, c. 1810 Mahogany Tall Case Clock, detail This American clock has a molded arch top supported by round columns with brass capitals and plinths. The conforming front encases an American-made face painted with neoclassical design elements and colors. The works, circa 1805, were made in England and are marked “Osborne, Birmingham, England.”

The clock stood in the old Davenport Homestead on Main Street and was shown in the Stamford Historical Society’s Loan Exhibition of 1911, which was chaired by Mrs. Theodore Davenport Jr.

Gift of Mrs. Elizabeth Davenport Spence.


Stamford’s Colonial Period 1641-1783
The Later 18th Century and Stamford’s American Revolution
The Coming of the Railroad, Immigrants and Industrialization

John Davenport:
The American Career of an International Puritan
(Francis J. Bremer)

Davenports gather to launch exhibit at Historical Society

Elizabeth Davenport Spence 1907-1998
(The Benefactress)

John Davenport 1597-1669/70
(The Founder)
John Davenport 1669-1730/31
Abraham Davenport 1715-1789
James Davenport 1716-1755
John Davenport 1752-1830
James Davenport 1758-1797
Theodore Davenport 1792-1884
Theodore Davenport Jr. 1834-1913
John Davenport 1840-1910
Abraham Davenport 1767-1837
Amzi Benedict Davenport 1817-1894
Benjamin Butler Davenport 1871-1958
Noah Welles 1718-1776
Galen Carter 1832-1893
Samuel Fessenden 1847-1908
Charles Henry Crandall 1858-1923
Charles Davenport Lockwood 1877-1949

Davenport Coat of Arms
Davenport Homestead

The Dark Day